A group of Muslim students from the University of Miami voiced their opinions and Walmart listened.
You might recall a story from the UK last year. Hundreds of Subway restaurants in the UK are no longer serving pork products, and are now halal only, because of pressure from the Muslim community and their leftist supporters.
This is not, however, the case across the pond, where it has been revealed that even top universities have secretly started serving halal meat.
Is this the future of America?
Time will tell.
Sammie Miller reports for The Miami Student:
Upon the request of Muslim students at Miami University, Walmart recently made the decision to provide halal-certified meat at the
Store manager Elijah Woodard made a formal announcement on Oct. 21 that the store would be accommodating these requests.
“I appreciated the students bringing this interest to our attention,” Woodard said. “I am pleased to announce that we have set a halal meat section in the store.”
According to Woodard, the order for the halal meat was made immediately and would only take a few days for the first shipment to arrive.
In Arabic, the word “halal” means permissible. Halal meat is meat that has been slaughtered according to Islamic law, as laid out in the Qu’ran. This particular type of slaughter is called dhabiha and requires that an animal’s throat be slit swiftly with a sharp blade to ensure as little pain and suffering as possible. While this is being done, the person with the blade says a prayer to Allah, or at the very least invokes the name of Allah to bless the animal and give thanks for the food.
Halal is not as simple as eliminating pork from the menu.
Halal is, as Sammie Miller points out, not necessarily a typical form of animal slaughter.
To further understand the halal process, here is a checklist from halaladvocates.net:
Essential Requirements for Slaughter
- These requirements must be fulfilled for HFSAA to verify the Halal status of the slaughtered animal. If any of these requirements are not fulfilled, then the Halal status of the animal will be compromised and HFSAA cannot endorse its Halal status.
- The animal to be slaughtered should be an animal which is lawful to consume in Islamic law. This includes all domestic birds such as chicken, ostriches, turkeys, quails, etc. along with all cattle, sheep, goats, camels, all types of buck, and rabbits.
- The slaughterer must be a sane adult who is a practicing Muslim. He must believe in all the essential matters of faith as described by Imam Tahawi in The Creed of Imam al-Tahawi.
- The animals must be slaughtered by a human being. Machine slaughter is not acceptable because it does not meet all the Halal requirements according to many traditional scholars.
- Slaughterer should have the intention to slaughter the animal.
- Slaughterer should verbally utter the Arabic benediction of “Bismillah, Allahu Akbar,” or minimally “Bismillah,” if necessary while performing the cut on each animal slaughtered.
- The slaughterer must immediately slaughter the animal after the recital without any significant delay or doing anything else in between.
- The animal must be slaughtered by a horizontal cut below its Adam’s apple. Vertical cut slaughter methods are not acceptable as they do not guarantee cutting of the required vessels.
- For camels, the slaughterer is to take a long knife and pierce the throat at its base by thrusting the knife in, causing the major blood vessels to be severed.
- The slaughterer should ensure that he severs the required vessels of the throat in one cut only.
- The slaughterer should not raise the knife while cutting the throat. He should sever all four vessels of the throat using a sharp knife starting from the front of the throat, and in the process, completely sever the trachea, esophagus, the jugular vein and the carotid artery.
- The slaughterer should not to cut into the vertebrae of the animal or cut off the neck of the animal. If by accident or forgetfulness one should cut so much that they cut into the vertebrae or even sever the head, the animal will be Halal, although if either is done on purpose, the animal is categorically not Halal.
- A full-time Halal Inspector must be on premises during the Halal slaughter to verify the Halal integrity of the meat from beginning of the slaughter process until packaging of the final product. The duty of this inspector is to ensure that all the HFSAA Halal standards are implemented
There is nothing pretty about the slaughter of animals whether the process is halal or not. However, some might feel that “halal” standards are a bit barbaric. Many believe that there are more “humane” ways to slaughter animals.
You simply cannot get a full picture of halal slaughter from a check list, so please watch this short documentary, if you think you can handle it. As you will notice in the credits, at least part of this video was shot in New York City:
This author has always found it amazingly ironic that the left-wing crowd, that is so deeply entrenched in animal rights, supports coexistence with Islam. They obviously do not understand what they are supporting.
The much bigger issue would seem to be not whether this is fair treatment of animals, but rather the existence of a politically correct culture that is continually determined to meet the demands of the Muslim Community. The Muslim population of the United States presently accounts for around 2% of the total population.
This is the sin of political correctness. We are forced to please every single minority (at least those supported by the left) no matter how the majority feels or how it may tread on the rights of that majority.
This is just one more reason to boycott Walmart.
I don’t know about you, but I am growing tired of having Islam shoved down my throat. Barack Obama is a Muslim, who is interested in turning America into a Muslim Nation.
How much more are we willing to take?Facebook and Twitter, and follow our friends at RepublicanLegion.com.
Become an insider!
Sign up for the free Freedom Outpost email newsletter, and we'll make sure to keep you in the loop.