A top children’s rights campaigner at the United Nations was just arrested on charges of raping a boy.
Truly, is there any blunter reason that America shouldn’t belong to this evil international organization?
Peter Newell, who once wrote a manual on children’s rights that was published by UNICEF, was arrested and imprisoned for sexually assaulting a male who was just 12 years old when the abuse began.
He’s admitted to five rape charges.
The Times has more:
A “child rights activist” convicted of abusing a 12-year-old boy managed a charity that received hundreds of thousand of pounds from the NSPCC, Barnardo’s, Save the Children and Unicef.
Peter Newell, who wrote a manual on children’s rights published by Unicef, was jailed for multiple counts of historical sexual assault on a child aged 12 when the abuse began.
Newell, 77, was listed as co-ordinator for Approach, a children’s charity active across Europe, Africa, Latin America and Asia until the allegations arose in 2016.
He was jailed last month at Blackfriars crown court after admitting five charges relating to the rape and indecent assault of a boy under 16.
The Association for the Protection of All Children, or Approach, lobbies for the protection of children…
The Telegraph has more details:
Newell, from north London, wrote a manual on children’s rights for Unicef and was the co-ordinator of the Association for the Protection of All Children charity, known as Approach, until he resigned in 2016 when the allegations arose.
Approach operates through the Children Are Unbeatable! Alliance in the UK and lobbies for the protection of children from violence, including smacking by parents.
In 2015, the charity brought a complaint to the Council of Europe, the EU’s leading human rights organisation, against France and six other EU countries over their failure to explicitly ban smacking children.
The south London-based organisation said on Friday that until Newell resigned, it was “completely unaware of his actions” and insisted that an independent safe-guarding review had found that no children were at risk through his work there.
According to accounts published on the Charity Commission website, for the five years from 2012 to 2016, Approach received hundreds of thousands of pounds in income from the NSPCC, Barnardo’s, Save the Children and Unicef, as well as other organisations abroad and a private donor.
The latest accounts for 2017 show Approach only received funding for its overseas activities.
None of Approach’s funders are believed to have been aware of Newell’s actions and the charity said that since the allegations came to light they have kept funders and the Charity Commission consistently informed.
A 229-page document he co-wrote with his wife Rachel Hodgkin for Unicef, included sections on sex tourism and sexual consent.
It was launched in Geneva in January 1998 and provided a detailed reference of law, policy and practice aimed at promoting and protecting the rights of children.
It states: “Research now testifies to the potentially serious short- and long-term effects on development of all forms of violence, including sexual abuse and exploitation.”
News of Newell’s imprisonment comes as a sex abuse scandal engulfs the charity sector.
Mark Goldring, chief executive of Oxfam GB, and Caroline Thomson, trustees chairman, are to be questioned by MPs next week following revelations that several of its aid workers paid for sex with prostitutes.
Newell pleaded guilty on January 2 to two charges of serious sexual assault between May 1966 and May 1968 and three charges of indecent assault committed between May 1965 and May 1968. He was jailed for six years and eight months.
The Metropolitan Police said his offences were first reported in March 2016 by his victim, who was 12 when the offences began.
They took place between 1965 and 1968 at a number of addresses and locations in south and east England, including London.
The Charity Commission said it was informed by Approach about the allegation against Newell in 2016 and had been in touch with the organisation over safeguarding procedures.
“The charity has confirmed that it has safeguarding policies and procedures in place which are being kept under review and that the charity and the trustees have very limited contact with children and that there is no suggestion that the charity’s beneficiaries were or are at risk,” it said.
Barnardo’s said there was no evidence anyone at the charity was aware of the “terrible charges” against Newell and said they no longer funded the Alliance.
The NSPCC said that its funding for the Children Are Unbeatable campaign was stopped as soon as it heard of the accusations against Newell.
Article posted with permission from Pamela GellerDon't forget to Like Freedom Outpost on Facebook, Google Plus, & Twitter. You can also get Freedom Outpost delivered to your Amazon Kindle device here.