In a striking blow to freedom of speech, a U.S. court of appeals ordered Google to remove the "Innocence of Muslims" video from Youtube. The hotly contested video, which the Obama Administration blamed as the cause of the Benghazi attacks, is no longer available for viewing on the free video sharing site Youtube. Why? The reason for its removal comes from the fact that it offends Muslims and nothing more. There is not other plausible reason for its removal from Youtube. Although the video should be an embarrassment for the Obama Administration, since the video was the centerpiece of the Benghazi terrorist cover up, this has nothing to do with its removal. The courts have deemed this a "copyright" issue.
The "Innocence of Muslims" is a 14 minute video that paints the prophet Mohammad in a less than flattering light. In this case, the video itself did not violate Youtube's terms of service. With beheadings and other Islamic atrocities readily available on Youtube, why a harmless video about Mohammad would be yanked is absurd. But this video was the centerpiece of the Obama Administration's Benghazi narrative, and worse, it "offended" the perpetually offended Muslims. Anything that offends the followers of Islam must never see the light of day.
By a 2-1 vote, a panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals rejected Google's assertion that the removal of the film "Innocence of Muslims" amounted to a prior restraint of speech that violated the U.S. Constitution.
The plaintiff, Cindy Lee Garcia, had objected to the film after learning that it incorporated a clip she had made for a different movie, which had been partially dubbed and in which she appeared to be asking: "Is your Mohammed a child molester?"
This was enough to spark a massive Islamic protest and cause Al-Qaeda militants, armed to the teeth, to storm the Benghazi consulate. This is preposterous. But the narrative worked for the Muslim Brotherhood infiltrated Obama Administration. It also caused the creator of the video, Mark Basseley Youssef to spend one year in jail for doing absolutely nothing wrong. He was a convenience scapegoat and nothing more. Had this been an anti-Christian film, it would still be up today.
“Garcia’s performance was used in a way that she found abhorrent and her appearance in the film subjected her to threats of physical harm and even death,” Chief Judge Alex Kozinski wrote for the majority court. “Despite these harms, and despite Garcia’s viable copyright claim, Google refused to remove the film from YouTube.”
By about 3 p.m. Wednesday, the film was no longer available on YouTube.
The film was blamed for sparking violence across the Middle East in late 2012 and forced the filmmaker, Youssef, into hiding. He was later sentenced to a year in jail.
Garcia filed an emergency restraining order against Google’s YouTube site on Sept. 20 , 2012, to try and get the film pulled down.
A judge denied the request, despite the fact that Garcia said she’d been deluged by death threats - and not told what the film she was starring in was really about.
The request was denied because taking the video down did not violate anyone's rights. However, that was over a year and a half ago. Google refused to take the video down in 2012 because Garcia appeared in the video for FIVE seconds. Google also faced pressure from the deceptive Obama Administration to remove the video as well. Now, they have taken the video down because an appeals court has deemed it so.
The film has now become an important part of public debate, Google argued, and should not be taken down.
"Our laws permit even the vilest criticisms of governments, political leaders, and religious figures as legitimate exercises in free speech," the company wrote.
Whatever happened to free speech? It's only free if the Obama Administration thinks its applicable. God forbid any Muslims are offended, lest of all the jihadists in the White House. Regardless of who is "offended" free speech is still the centerpiece of the United States Constitution. When free speech is eliminated, everyone should take cover. Is this a warning from the tyrant Obama? Absolutely. An innocent man was jailed for making a video. They're is no greater fascism than jailing a man, and blaming him for failed, deplorable foreign policy.
The controversial film, billed as a film trailer, depicted the Prophet Mohammed as a fool and a sexual deviant. It sparked a torrent of anti-American unrest among Muslims in Egypt, Libya and other countrjaielies in 2012.
That outbreak coincided with an attack on U.S. diplomatic facilities in Benghazi that killed four Americans, including the U.S. ambassador to Libya. U.S. and other foreign embassies were also stormed in the Middle East, Asia and Africa.
For many Muslims, any depiction of the prophet is considered blasphemous.
This film offended Muslims. Need anything more be said?
Don't forget to Like Freedom Outpost on Facebook, Google Plus, & Twitter. You can also get Freedom Outpost delivered to your Amazon Kindle device here.