Editor’s Note: On Saturday, I had the pleasure of hearing Richard Lynch, a congressional candidate in 2012 for North Carolina’s District 9, speak at a local Tea Party rally in Belmont, North Carolina on the anniversary of Patrick Henry’s “Give me liberty or give me death” speech. He spoke with conviction and passion about the subject of the Second Amendment and I asked him if he would allow Freedom Outpost to post his remarks. For those who were unable to attend, I humbly submit Mr. Lynch’s speech. Enjoy!
Before I get into the heart of my presentation, I first want to warn you. What you’re about to hear will offend some, praise others, and hopefully present food for thought for many. I will make my presentation of how I view things in the current political arena with no apologies for my opinions.
And to those socialist, progressive, anti-American politicians in Washington who are part of the federal government, I want to remind them that in America it is the Second Amendment that secures and protects my God-given rights to free speech as outlined in the First Amendment.
When most are questioned about the necessity of the right to bear arms, they state the importance of being able to protect their family when they’re threatened, or to defend their business from being robbed. They think about stopping someone who is threatening physical harm or neutralizing a hostile situation such as that which took place in Sandy Hook. While all these examples lend credibility to the necessity of owning firearms, I would like to ask you to bear with me while I present my understanding of why the Second Amendment is so important.
I will close with some observations of the current state of America and present for your consideration a common sense approach for restoring America to her former glory.
It is a common misconception that your local police department is there for your protection. It is no accident that they are no longer called “peace officers” but instead are called “law enforcement” officers. The guns that they carry are for their protection against the same criminals that our government wants to disarm you.
Currently the Sheriff departments along with a well-armed citizenry (militia) remains the last best hope of protecting our Constitution against those forces determined to destroy America and enslave its people.
I want to extend a personal, truly heartfelt thank you to all those sheriffs across the country who have let it be known that they will not be enforcing any of the unconstitutional gun control legislation being discussed. This, ladies and gentlemen, is in the spirit of the foundation of this great nation – people who are willing to stand up at any cost for what is right.
America is clearly at the point where we must decide if our future will be more secure based on true freedom, capitalism and limited government or are we in acceptance that our lives are best served through a government which believes it can better manage our lives for us.
This great nation was built upon the principles of capitalism and a rule of law known as the U.S. Constitution. We firmly believe, as our founding fathers stated so eloquently, that all men are created equal, that we are all endowed by our creator with certain inalienable rights, that amongst these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
While our founding fathers believed that whenever any form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it was the right of the people to alter or to abolish it. We must understand that any action of the magnitude of abolishing our government carries with it grave consequences.
I would like to submit that if we are, in fact, determined to hold onto our Constitution and the very principles of freedom, liberty and personal responsibility, we should consider the advice of Abraham Lincoln when he stated, “The people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow those men who would pervert the Constitution”.
When Patrick Henry spoke at the convention in Richmond, Virginia on this very date in 1775, he addressed the fact that the king had placed ships of war in the harbor and troops on the ground. He went on to correctly point out that these ships were not for our protection and troops were not a sign of the love the King had for the colonies. No. They were there to force the colonies into submission. He pointed out that the colonies had petitioned, remonstrated, supplicated, and prostrated themselves before the throne to no avail.
Patrick Henry’s speech was an attempt to win votes for his resolution that the colony of Virginia place itself into a posture of the defense by embodying, arming and disciplining a number of men, as may be sufficient, for that purpose. In other words, it was time for an armed militia!!!
Patrick Henry’s resolution to form a militia and his “Give me liberty or give me death speech,” were very instrumental in America declaring its independence.
Our founding fathers were very deliberate and gave much consideration to this undertaking. For those of you who have read the Declaration of Independence, I am sure you can appreciate the thought, time, passion and consideration that went into its drafting.
In the spirit of the underlying principles of the Declaration of Independence, I would like to propose the following:
DECLARATION OF RESTORATION
When in the course of human events it becomes obvious that the actions of our political leaders are not in keeping with our vision of freedom, liberty and self-responsibility, history has taught us that such visions and goals can only be achieved through corrective actions.
Just as our founding fathers outlined the long line of abuses and usurpations of the king that ultimately led to the declaring of our independence, let us consider the corruptive and abusive practices employed by our government creating undue hardship for the American people.
1. Our political leaders have made a mockery of the U.S. Constitution.
2. The American people have become subjects placed under administrative law. Our founding fathers were all-too-familiar with this form of law for this was the law of the king. In most instances, all trials are conducted without a jury and the accused is at the mercy of a biased administrative law judge. It was the intent of our founding fathers for the inhabitants of America to be governed by common law.
3. Our Supreme Court justices have resorted to writing law instead of adjudicating on the constitutionality of laws.
4. Our executive branch is using administrative agencies in order to write laws and circumvent the legislative process.
5. The American people have been inundated with thousands of agencies, manned by thousands of officers armed with hundreds of thousands of regulations used to control, manipulate, tax and create undue hardship on the masses. Or as was stated in the original Declaration of Independence, “He has sent hither swarms of officers and offices to eat out our substance.”
6. The American people have been burdened with the legal expense incurred as a result of bad legislation, over-regulation, and corruption all created by our political leaders.
7. Even the simplest of our most basic rights, such as the Right to Work, has become a bargaining chip used by political leaders to garner votes.
8. The American people have been placed under foreign jurisdiction through various treaties and acts all without the peoples’ consent and all with the intent of a “one world” government.
9. Our states have been denied protection from invasion as outlined in article 4 section four of the U.S. Constitution, as well as, article 1 section 10 par 3. To add insult to injury, our states (aka the taxpayers) have incurred tremendous legal expense in defending themselves against legal actions brought by the very government that was established to defend and protect them in the first place.
10. American citizens are being incarcerated at an alarming rate for breaking laws that have no foundation in either natural or constitutional law.
11. Our political leaders have created a lifestyle of kings for themselves and conduct their political business with total disregard for the American people and with impunity for their actions.
12. We have been left in a state of uncertainty and confusion as our political leaders refuse to govern by the Constitution but instead spend all their time debating back and forth over which party’s unconstitutional agendas are best for the American people!!!
13. Our executive branch is currently under the control of what can only be called a less than honorable individual. This is an individual who was never properly vetted for the position either by his party or the American people. The American people know less about this individual than they know about the background of a petty thief. His anti-American views and beliefs are well documented as well as his agenda for a socialist America and the redistribution of wealth.
14. The executive office uses tactics of vengeance and hatred to drive home their intentions. The most recent being the closing down of the White House to visitors while continuing with a lifestyle that is more opulent and extravagant than the very king from which we declared our independence.
15. The executive branch has resorted to using broad executive orders (over 900 and counting) in order to circumvent unfavorable decisions of the legislative branch.
16. For far too long, we have been subjected to an unfair, unconstitutional and arbitrary politically-motivated tax system that only exists through fear and intimidation.
17. Through agencies such as the IRS our homes, businesses and accumulated wealth are being confiscated without due process of law.
WE NEED TO ABOLISH THE IRS!
18. The right of eminent domain has been manipulated to the point citizens are losing their property to corrupt backroom business deals.
19. Property is confiscated for trumped-up charges and sold with the proceeds being divided up between law enforcement and government.
20. Under the Patriot Act, Americans can be spied upon by their own government.
21. Federal agents have been given unconstitutional authority to write their own search warrants.
22. Under the National Defense Authorization Act, Americans can be arrested and detained without being afforded due process of law.
In every stage of these oppressions, we have petitioned for redress in the most humble of terms. Our repeated petitions have been answered only by repeated injury.
Fellow patriots, we’re currently witnessing the destruction of the greatest nation on earth. We’re being held hostage by own government and all cries for a return to constitutional principles have fallen on deaf ears.
We are forced into working harder, receiving less, and paying for an out-of-control government headed by a narcissistic, socialist who along with his wife has never loved this country and is on record as saying he wants to fundamentally change it!!!
In light of these facts, I submit to you why I believe the Second Amendment is so important.
When your government is being run by self-serving constitutional-destroying politicians that is when you need the Second Amendment.
When your government arms its local law enforcement with a military grade arsenal, that is when you need the Second Amendment.
When your government gives the FBI the right to write their own search warrants, that is when you need the Second Amendment.
When local law enforcement deploys drones over American cities, that is when you need the Second Amendment.
When states are no longer allowed to defend themselves against illegal invasion, that is when you need the Second Amendment.
When American citizens can be detained without legal representation, that is when you need the Second Amendment.
When your homes can be seized, businesses shut down, bank accounts emptied all without due process, that is when you need the Second Amendment!
When your tax burden is ever increasing, your national debt out of control all the while the president and first family live a life of royalty and tell you to tighten your belt, that is when you need the Second Amendment.
Finally, when your government wants to repeal the Second Amendment and force you into registering your weapons, THAT IS WHEN YOU NEED THE SECOND AMENDMENT THE MOST!
History has shown us that all tyrants, despots, genocidal lunatics and power-hungry leaders have all used the disarming of the citizenry as a key and vital step toward absolute dominance. We must NOT, under any circumstance, ever lose sight of this fact. More importantly, we must have unwavering resolve that we will never give up our freedom. Let us always remember the four boxes that keep us free: the soap box, the ballot-box, the jury box and the cartridge box!!!
Now comes the part nobody wants to hear. The truth about why we’re forced to have rallies to demand that our constitutional rights are not trampled on.
There are those of us who want to point the finger at the politicians and say it is their fault. There are others who want to point the finger at one race of people or group of people and say that is their fault. Personally, I do not believe that these are the problems but rather a product of the real problem. You see, I believe the real problem is that the American people have become apathetic, lazy and complacent when it comes to guarding the Constitution.
Too many have allowed themselves to be lulled into believing that it is the responsibility of government to provide for them from womb to tomb. We complain about and criticize the actions of our political leaders out of one side of our mouth, while at the same time expecting those political leaders to step outside the Constitution in order to provide us with something that has no constitutional foundation whatsoever such as food stamps, shelter, education, clothing, healthcare and job security. The list goes on ad-nausea.
We all talk about the need to cut back on the size and scope of government and at the very same time cringe at the thought of government taking away what we believe we are entitled to. Make no mistake about it, when our founding fathers spoke of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness nowhere did they ever intend for the government to guarantee happiness. As I like to say, “Your pursuit of happiness does not entitle you to the fruits of my labor.”
We have become a society that is so self-centered we choose to elect and re-elect political leaders based on their promises of what they will give us with a total disregard for the fact that what we receive today, will be paid for by our children and generations to come. As a father of three and grandfather of six, I find this attitude to be morally reprehensible.
We must ask ourselves what is the price of freedom? Is it free food, shelter, education, cell phones, clothing, healthcare, etc., all at the expense of our children’s’ future? Or to quote Patrick Henry, “Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?”
I don’t think there is a person here today that would stand by and watch as someone did physical harm to their child. And yet when you look at what they are doing in Washington are we not standing by as the greatest crime of all, the crime of enslavement, is being forced upon those very same children?
Washington has become the home of absolute evil-doers comprised of individual heroes. They might be considered heroes in their districts for bringing home the bacon but, collectively, they are destroying this country. I strongly urge everyone to read Sockdolager to get a better understanding of what this means.
I recently ran for US Congress in the ninth district. My entire platform was based on restoration of constitutional government. It never ceased to amaze me just how uninformed or misinformed those who were running for office were about the Constitution and what were the responsibilities of a representative.
I ran on the platform that we need to do five things in order to restore constitutional government:
1. No bill is to exceed 10 pages.
2. All bills are to be accompanied by the constitutional article authorizing said bill.
3. No content in the bill that does not pertain to the title of the bill.
4. All bills are to be written in layman’s terms and posted online for seven days prior to introduction on the floor.
5. All bills requiring expenditures must disclose total cost, how the bill will be funded, who the beneficiaries are, who will pay, and an ABSOLUTE sunset date.
I said it then and I will say it again, “Congress does not need experienced politicians. Congress needs people who have suffered the hardships created by those experienced politicians.” It is time we stop kidding ourselves and realize that the only way we will restore constitutional government in this country is to get back to the Constitution!!!
I compare what is taking place in Washington right now to someone who has car problems. The car owner hires a mechanic who only makes the situation worse. The owner then rehires that same mechanic and agrees to give him more money to repair the very problems he created! The car runs worse or not at all, the owner goes further into debt and the mechanic is fat, dumb and happy! This so-called mechanic then convinces that same person that he can fix their plumbing problems as well. All the while he knows no more about plumbing then he knew about auto mechanics.
I am constantly told there is nothing we can do. Washington is broken and we just have to accept it. I disagree. Just as an alcoholic’s first step to recovery is acknowledging they have a problem, we must do the same. We must be willing to accept that what I said here today are the cold hard facts. And as the saying goes, if you’re not part of the solution, you’re part of the problem.
Folks, here are some more cold hard facts. The progressive, socialist, liberal agenda is succeeding in large part because they are so well-funded not only through our tax dollars, but through revenue-generating events and products. In addition, they maintain a stronghold in all the major media outlets. While their message is one filled with unsustainable promises, we must do our part in educating people about the Constitution and how America is wonderful, awesome, and magnificent.
I cannot begin to tell you how disheartening and disturbing it was that as I going around passing out flyers for this rally, how many people were not familiar with the second amendment.
The only way we will ever regain America, the Constitution and return to the founding principles of this great nation, is to fight fire with fire.
We have got to reach deep, deep, I mean deep, into our pockets to help fund organizations such as the Tea Party of Gaston County, The Americans for Fair Tax, Bob Schultz and We the People and Oath Keepers.
It is no longer enough to just simply attend rallies, send e-mails around or to contact our congress people. Let’s use this rally as a starting point for larger rallies. We must be recognized as a force not only in physical presence, but in financial strength as well.
If we do not follow a decisive course of action, then the second amendment may become less important as there may very well not be a nation to protect.
On this day in 1775, Patrick Henry gave his famous “Give me liberty or give me death” speech. Mr. Henry’s resolution passed with just a small majority of those in attendance. 238 years later, we are in a similar place. I am sure the presentation I have given today may not be well received by all and that’s okay. The fact of the matter is that all great things in this country have always been accomplished in spite of minimal support in the beginning. The major difference facing Americans today and that facing our founding fathers, is that they have done the hard work for us.
To play off Patrick Henry’s sentiments I will close with this:
“Is my life so dear or my peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of future generations? Please Almighty God, cleanse my heart and soul of such thoughts. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, let me always be willing to die fighting for what is right before I choose to live accepting what is wrong.”
Thank you and God Bless America in all that she is and all that she stands for.Don't forget to Like Freedom Outpost on Facebook and Twitter, and follow our friends at RepublicanLegion.com.