Well, we all know this is going nowhere because Saudi Arabia is considered to be our “friend,” right, despite what we know of their involvement in 9-11. However, reports are out today that say that the recent disappearance and presumed murder of Saudi dissident activist, journalist and former jihad propagandist Jamal Khashoggi was a “mistake” that occurred during an interrogation gone wrong and that the Saudis are considering putting forward that claim.
According to The Wall Street Journal:
Saudi Arabia is weighing whether to say that rogue operatives killed a Saudi dissident journalist by mistake during an interrogation gone wrong, people familiar with the matter said, a position that would help the royal family exonerate itself from direct responsibility for a matter that has roiled its relations with the U.S.
The kingdom’s tentative explanation comports with comments President Trump made Monday, after speaking to Saudi King Salman, that “rogue killers” may have been behind the disappearance of Jamal Khashoggi, a former royal insider.
It’s unclear if and when the Saudi statement would be released, and its content hasn’t been finalized, the people familiar with the matter said. The Saudi government didn’t respond to a request for comment.
Turkish authorities allege that Mr. Khashoggi was killed by Saudi agents after he entered the consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2 to handle a bureaucratic matter. The Turkish government has shared with U.S. officials what it describes as audio and video recordings purporting to show that Mr. Khashoggi was killed in the building, say people familiar with the matter.
Saudi Arabia has denied the accusation and said Mr. Khashoggi left the consulate alive, soon after arriving.
Ah, who to believe? Both are Muslim countries where taqiyya is permissible and each has their own agenda here.
Of course, President Donald Trump has said that Saudi agents could have operated without the Saudi government’s knowledge.
“It sounded to me like maybe these could have been rogue killers,” Mr. Trump said after speaking with King Salman on Monday.
Fox News reports:
Turkish authorities have said they have evidence proving that Khashoggi was killed by Saudi agents, while Riyadh officials have claimed that Khashoggi was alive when he left the building and they do not know what happened to him.
Trump also announced he’d dispatched Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to the kingdom — and anywhere else necessary — to get to the bottom of the apparent demise of Khashoggi, a Saudi man who had been living and working in self-imposed exile in the United States. Khashoggi often wrote columns critical of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, who has considerable weight in the actions of the Riyadh government.
The State Department has urged a thorough investigation and called on Saudi Arabia to be transparent about the results — advice broadly tracking messages from allies in Europe. Germany, Britain and France issued a joint statement over the weekend expressing “grave concern” and calling for a credible investigation to ensure those responsible for the disappearance “are held to account.”
In Istanbul, meanwhile, investigators entered the consulate for their own investigation. The members arrived by unmarked police cars but said nothing to journalists waiting outside as they entered the building.
So, why is no one asking Turkey for their alleged evidence in the matter?
According to Wikipedia, Khashoggi:
…was a Saudi journalist, author, and the former general manager and editor-in-chief of Al-Arab News Channel. He also was editor for Saudi newspaper Al Watan, turning it into a platform for Saudi progressives.
Khashoggi fled Saudi Arabia in September 2017. He said that the Saudi government had banned him from Twitter and later wrote newspaper articles critical of the government. Khashoggi has been sharply critical of Saudi Arabia’s crown prince, Mohammad bin Salman, and the country’s king, Salman of Saudi Arabia.n He also opposed the Saudi Arabian-led intervention in Yemen.
Khashoggi disappeared on 2 October 2018 and was last seen entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, Turkey, by its main entrance. Anonymous Turkish police sources have alleged that he was murdered and dismembered inside the consulate. The Saudi government claims that Khashoggi left the consulate alive, through a rear entrance, but Turkish police say that no CCTV recorded him exiting the consulate. On 15 October, an inspection of the consulate, by both Turkish and Saudi officials, took place. His death has not been confirmed.
The obvious questions should be that since no one has confirmed his death, why would the Saudis even consider saying he is dead? Is that not giving away their involvement?
He was an outspoken critic of the Saudi government and knowing how the Saudis deal with such dissidents under Sharia law, one can only guess that they took part in Khashoggi’s “disappearance.”
Become an insider!
Sign up for the free Freedom Outpost email newsletter, and we'll make sure to keep you in the loop.