Nearly 80,000 Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) recipients have arrest records, a new U.S. Citizenship and Immigration report finds.
Newly released statistics show that over 10 percent of DACA recipients have arrest records for crimes ranging from hit and runs to vandalism, burglary, assault, and possession of child pornography, among many others, when they were approved for residency.
Whoa…..Nearly 80,000 immigrants approved for DACA have arrest records, USCIS report findshttps://t.co/0Nx1GC2y7R
— Jason Chaffetz (@jasoninthehouse) November 17, 2019
The data released Saturday by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) shows only arrests or apprehensions for a criminal offense or an immigration-related civil offense and does not take into account whether there was a conviction, acquittal, dismissal or a lessening of charges.
The report finds that of the nearly 889,000 applicants for the DACA program, 110,000 had arrest records. Of the more than 765,000 approved for DACA, 79,398 had arrest records. Of that number, 67,861 were arrested before their most recent DACA approval, while 15,903 were arrested after their most recent approval.
The offenses incurred by DACA requestors who were arrested before their most recent approval include battery (3,421), assault (3,308), burglary, breaking and entering (1,471), rape (62), murder (15) and theft or larceny (7,926). The largest population arrested were suspected of driving-related offenses excluding DUIs (23,305) and immigration-related offenses (12,968.)
The report comes as the Obama-era program’s constitutionality is under examination at the Supreme Court. Oral arguments in the case began this week. More
Many of the people in DACA, no longer very young, are far from “angels.” Some are very tough, hardened criminals. President Obama said he had no legal right to sign order, but would anyway. If Supreme Court remedies with overturn, a deal will be made with Dems for them to stay!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 12, 2019
Of those approximately 80,000 DACA recipients, only 12,968 (or 16 percent) had been arrested in the past over immigration violations.
The rest of the arrests pertained to the following other matters:
- Traffic violations: 25,305
- Theft, larceny: 7,926
- Drug-related: 6,892
- DUI: 4,210
- Battery: 3,421
- Assault: 3,308
- Obstruction, fabrication, false claim: 3,053
- Disorderly conduct: 2,223
- Contempt, bench warrant, bail: 2,112
- Liquor-related (excl. DUI): 2,094
- Vandalism: 1,956
- Failure to appear: 1,816
- Burglary, breaking and entering: 1,471
- Trespass, unlawful entry, etc.: 1,410
- Offenses against family and children: 1,360
- Resisting/interfering/evading police: 1,278
- Weapon-related: 974
- Fraud, money-laundering, corruption: 869
- Undefined threats, attempted crime/conspiracy: 810 581
- Forgery, counterfeiting: 712
- Undefined juvenile offense: 631
- Stolen property: 616
- Undefined ordinance: 596
- Hit and Run: 587
- Probation/parole violation, remanded: 445
- Other illegal sex-related acts: 428
- Robbery: 269
- Fail to comply/obey: 267
- Sexual abuse, statutory rape: 259
- Contributing to the delinquency of a minor: 243
- Harassment, restraining order violation: 243
- Indecent exposure, lewd/lascivious acts: 227
- Reckless conduct/endangerment: 188
- Kidnapping, trafficking, false imprisonment: 173
- Embezzlement: 154
- Loitering, vagrant: 143
- Riot, unlawful assembly: 73
- Motor vehicle theft: 71
- Accessory, accomplice, hindering: 66
- Rape: 62
- Organized criminal activity: 45
- Curfew violation: 43
- Gambling: 33
- Cruelty to animals: 31
- Arson: 24
- Murder: 15
- Street gang: 15
- Smuggling: 13
- Bribery, influence public servant: 10
- Manslaughter, negligent/reckless homicide: 5 14
- Child pornography: 2
Of those approved DACA recipients with arrest records, a whopping 15,903 (20 percent) went on to commit additional crimes that resulted in them being arrested at least twice.Don't forget to Like Freedom Outpost on Facebook and Twitter, and follow our friends at RepublicanLegion.com.
Become an insider!
Sign up for the free Freedom Outpost email newsletter, and we'll make sure to keep you in the loop.