For weeks, the Middle East has been boiling.
Iran, ever the troublemaker, has lurched back into the international spotlight after a series of explosive attacks on ships and pipelines meant to disrupt the flow of oil from the region to the world at large. The incidents are thought to be in the interest of gaining global attention after smothering new sanctions were enacted on the Persian nation.
President Donald Trump was nearly moved to attacking Iran herself after the Revolutionary Guard shot down an American drone. Tehran claims the UAV was operating in Iranian airspace, but US officials have insisted that the unmanned plane was over international waters.
Now, as predicted and threatened, Iran is taking their insubordinate behavior to the next level.
Iran’s enriched uranium stockpile exceeded the 300 kg limit set by the nuclear deal on Monday, according to the Iranian Fars news agency. This constitutes a direction violation of the 2015 Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, the nuclear pact the world superpowers reached with Iran in 2015.
An Iranian source told Fars on Monday that the International Atomic Energy Agency found that the enriched uranium exceeded the ceiling of 300 kg.
Iran’s Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif confirmed that the Islamic Republic breached the nuclear deal by stockpiling over 300 kg of enriched uranium, according to ISNA.
The statement was bold.
“We had previously announced this and we have said it transparently what we are going to do,” Zarif said. “We are going to act according to what we have announced and we consider it our right reserved in the nuclear deal.”
Iran has insisted that their nuclear program is meant only for peaceful purposes, but international observers are wary of that claim.