The news came out this morning that the second American nurse diagnosed with Ebola flew on a plane with 132 other passengers from Cleveland, Ohio to Dallas, Texas. Amber Vinson had a low-grade fever when she boarded the plane, and was admitted to Texas Presbyterian Hospital just hours after disembarking.
The latest horror?
Not only were 132 people who flew with Vinson exposed to Ebola.
In the time it took the CDC to notify Frontier Airlines of the issue, 5 more flights were made.
According to the LA Times:
But Tuesday morning the plane was flown back to Cleveland and then to Fort Lauderdale, Fla., back to Cleveland and then to Atlanta and finally back to Cleveland again, according to Daniel Baker, chief executive of the flight-monitoring site Flightaware.com.
He said his data did not include any passenger manifests, so he could not tell how many total passengers flew on the plane Tuesday.
Believe it or not, it gets even worse. Not only were an unknown number of travelers going heaven-knows-where potentially exposed.
The plane went through a routine but "thorough" cleaning Monday night, Frontier said. Airline industry experts said routine overnight cleaning includes wiping down tray tables, vacuuming carpet, and disinfecting restrooms.
So now we have 132 passengers on Vinson's flight. We have passengers and crew of 5 other flights and we have airport cleaning staff. By nature of the fact that this was at an airport, these travelers have most likely gone to all corners of the country. If any of the travelers or staff become ill, then we can add to our list of concerns all of the people with whom they have come into contact. And then…
Exponential doesn't even begin to cover it.
We're getting very close to the point that people should opt to take matters into their own hands and lock down. This is not hysteria. It's common sense. Clearly, despite their assurances to the contrary, the CDC does NOT have this situation contained. As well, we can't depend on others to behave responsibly once they've been exposed.
Preparedness means that you have the ability to be self-reliant. Take the time to check over your preps and do an inventory. Fill any gaps, and plan to be able to keep your family home for at least two months, should the need arise.
While I still suggest that some medical supplies and protective clothing be included in your preps, it's obvious that protective clothing didn't do a lot for the nurses who cared for Robert Duncan. If your funds are limited, you should focus on the supplies you need to be self-reliant for 2 months.
- Drinking water (1 gallon per person per day)
- Food – here's how to build your pantry fast (including items that don't require fuel for preparation)
- Heavy duty garbage bags
- Sanitation supplies such as toilet paper, paper towels, baby wipes, and feminine hygiene supplies)
- Entertainment – you'll want to be able to keep children and restless family members busy so get craft supplies, books, games, and puzzles
- Basic medical supplies (here's a list)
- Pandemic kits that contain protective clothing (we have a QuakeKare Deluxe Pandemic Flu Kit for each family member) Our kit is sold out, but this one is similar: Pandemic Virus Kit Module by AXP
- Extra N95 masks (3M 1860 Health Care N95 Particulate Respirator and Surgical Mask, Small Adult, 20/Bx, 3M 8511 Particulate N95 Respirator with Valve, 10-Pack, and 3M 8000 Particle Respirator N95, 30-Pack)
- N100 masks (3M Particulate Respirator 8233, N100, Moldex 2730 N100 Respirator Mask with Handy Strap Bx/5 Each, 3M 8233 N100 Particulate Respirator – Case of 20)
- Nitrile gloves (Dynarex Black Nitrile Exam Gloves, Heavy-Duty, Powder Free, Large, Box/100, Liberty T2010W Nitrile Industrial Glove, Powder Free, Disposable, 4 mil Thickness, Large, Blue (Box of 100), SafeTouch Nitrile Exam Gloves, Non Latex, Powder Free, Large, Box/100)
- Safety goggles with an elastic band to ensure a snug fit (Pyramex V2G Safety Eyewear, Clear Anti-Fog Lens With Black Strap/Temples), DEWALT DPG82-11C Concealer Clear Anti-Fog Dual Mold Safety Goggle, DEWALT DPG82-11C Concealer Clear Anti-Fog Dual Mold Safety Goggle, Neiko 53875B ANSI Z87.1 Anti-Fog Approved Wide-Vision Extra-Soft Lab Safety Goggle
- Protective clothing: DuPont TY122S Disposable Elastic Wrist, Bootie & Hood White Tyvek Coverall Suit 1414, Size Large, Sold by the Each, Dupont TY120S L Large Tyvek Coveralls Suit, Sold By Each, DuPont Tyvek TY122S Disposable Coverall with Hood and Boots, Elastic Cuff, White, X-Large (Pack of 25)
Pick up Daisy's new book The Pantry Primer: How to Build a One Year Food Supply in Three Months to help with your prepping needs.Don't forget to Like Freedom Outpost on Facebook, Google Plus, & Twitter. You can also get Freedom Outpost delivered to your Amazon Kindle device here.