Democrat Senator Joe Manchin (D-WV) likely made a lot of liberals very angry on Sunday while speaking with CNN’s Jake Tapper on State of the Union.
Manchin covered a whole host of topics including Robert Mueller, amnesty for the DREAMers, building the wall, Hillary Clinton’s hypocrisy, and more.
But on about 5 major topics, Manchin was surprisingly open and shockingly critical of his own party… or at least as close to critical as a Democrat comes with their own party.
- Manchin refused to say that Trump was bordering on “obstruction of justice” in how he’s handled the Russia collusion investigation.
- Manchin slammed Nancy Pelosi’s (D-CA) ugly rhetoric and her accusations of racism that she’s lobbed at President Trump and the GOP.“You know what, we don’t need that type of rhetoric on either side. From Nancy, Paul Ryan or anybody else. We have the wall. We need to repair the wall. We’ll need to build more wall. We need to do whatever we can to secure the borders… I’m condemning all this crazy rhetoric that goes on. Just because someone is Republican, is not my enemy and we have to work together.”
- Manchin agreed that we needed to build more wall along the Mexican border and that we needed more money spent on border security.
- Manchin criticized his own party for shutting down the government, and argued that doing so again would be foolish.
- Manchin refused to defend Hillary Clinton for not firing a known sexual harasser who was working for her for many years. Instead, he said that she should be questioned on why she didn’t act sooner and then be judged based on her response.
Now, it’s all well and good to hear Senator Manchin criticizing his own party (rightly), but let’s be serious… his voting record is clear.
He voted against the Tax Cuts.
He voted against Obamacare Repeal.
He voted to keep funding Planned Parenthood.
He votes with Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer (D-NY) 90% of the time.
Joe Manchin may not be as far left as the most liberal members of his party, but he’s darn close.
The real difference between Manchin and the left wing of his party is the way they speak. While Manchin may not throw rhetorical bombs (like Nancy Pelosi does), he most certainly agrees with the policies that Pelosi is fighting for.
Article posted with permission from Constitution.comDon't forget to Like Freedom Outpost on Facebook and Twitter, and follow our friends at RepublicanLegion.com.
Become an insider!
Sign up for the free Freedom Outpost email newsletter, and we'll make sure to keep you in the loop.