Delaware Man: I Survived The Istanbul Terror Attack By Playing Dead


A Delaware man shot during the Istanbul nightclub attack on New Year’s Eve says he survived the massacre because he pretended to be dead.

William Jacob Raak, a 35-year-old business owner from Greenville, Delaware, said he played dead on the ground at the nightclub Reina as a last-ditch effort to stay alive, The Associated Press reports.

The attack killed 39 people, at least 25 of whom were foreigners.

take our poll - story continues below

Do you think Democrats will push out Representative Ilhan Omar over her anti-Semitism?

  • Do you think Democrats will push out Representative Ilhan Omar over her anti-Semitism?  

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Completing this poll grants you access to Freedom Outpost updates free of charge. You may opt out at anytime. You also agree to this site's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Trending: 12 HUGE Bombshells in One Week – But, “Nothing’s Happening?”

“When he shot me I didn’t move – I just let him shoot me,” Raak told NBC. “I was shot when I was already on the ground. He was shooting people that he had already shot.”

Raak said the gunman was targeting people on the floor. Even after taking a bullet while on the ground, Raak stayed as quiet as he possibly could to give off the impression he was dead.

“I was probably the luckiest person in the whole thing,” he added. “I do find myself very fortunate.”

Raak was apparently in Istanbul to celebrate his birthday. According to the State Department, Raak was the only U.S. citizen injured in the attack.

The Islamic State has since claimed responsibility for the massacre.

“In continuation of the blessed operations which ISIS carries out against Turkey, a soldier of the brave caliphate attacked one of the most popular nightclubs while Christians were celebrating their holiday,” an ISIS statement read, according to CNN.

Turkish authorities have arrested eight people in connection with the attack so far, but are still searching for others. The gunman still seems to be on the loose.

In a statement Sunday, Turkish President Recep Erdogan said the terror attack would not succeed in demoralizing the country.

“They are working to destroy our country’s morale and create chaos by deliberately targeting our nation’s peace and targeting civilians with these heinous attacks,” Erdogan said. “We will retain our coolheadedness as a nation, standing more closely together, and we will never give ground to such dirty games.”

Raak is expected to arrive stateside Tuesday evening.

Article posted with permission from The Daily Caller News Foundation

Don't forget to Like Freedom Outpost on Facebook, Google Plus, & Twitter. You can also get Freedom Outpost delivered to your Amazon Kindle device here.

You Might Like
Previous Cold-Hearted Anti-Gunners Happy About Gun Accident
Next It’s War: World’s Purest Silver Producer Prepares To Join Class Action Lawsuit Against Bullion Banks For Price Rigging

Join the conversation!

We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please hover over that comment, click the ∨ icon, and mark it as spam. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.