The Accountability Review Board issued its report earlier this week and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton signed off on it. Now the unclassified sections of the review are being looked through and it seems that no one will be fired over the incident and no one will face any sort of disciplinary action. This is a travesty, considering the lives of four Americans were taken and no aid was given by a government that knew they were under attack.
The review by the Accountability Review Board said the temporary, lightly defended compound where Stevens died lacked disciplined oversight of its security operations. The diplomatic post’s ad hoc nature, with inexperienced staff members working there for short periods, “resulted in diminished institutional knowledge, continuity, and mission capacity,” the report said.
Finally, the report said State Department officials in Washington ignored requests from the U.S. Embassy in Tripoli, the Libyan capital, for additional guards and better security for the Benghazi compound, which served as a temporary U.S. consulate for eastern Libya. It also said that there had been worrisome incidents in the weeks before the attack that should have led to increased security, but the report did not identify any specific threats to the compound on Sept. 11.
The report said State Department security personnel on the scene and CIA officers at a nearby annex used as an operations base had responded in a timely and appropriate manner, and it absolved the U.S. military of any blame, saying there was not enough time for a military response that would have made any difference.
Despite the broad security failures, the report did not single out any individual officials as violating procedures and did not recommend any disciplinary action.
The report went on to confirm that the story the Obama administration put out about there being protests over a YouTube video critical of Islam was baseless and that the attack was carried out by terrorists. Surprise! But again, no disciplinary action was recommended.
The Washington Times points out that while there was no disciplinary action recommended now, the report says that should be the case “in the future.” That’s quite convenient for the Secretary of State isn’t it?
Shaun Waterman writes, “The board ‘found that certain senior State Department officials within two bureaus demonstrated a lack of proactive leadership and management ability in their responses to security concerns’ in Benghazi. But the report notes that poor management is ‘ordinarily … addressed through the performance management system” rather than through discipline.’”
Waterman continues, “However, the board adds that ‘findings of unsatisfactory leadership performance by senior officials’ in relation to security ‘should be a potential basis for discipline recommendations’ in the future, and recommends changes to department regulations that would make that possible.”
“The report does not name any of the officials concerned,” Waterman points out, “but an investigation by House Republicans found that Deputy Assistant Secretary of State Charlene Lamb, responsible for diplomatic security in the region, denied repeated requests for additional security in Libya from security officials on the ground.”
CNS News also points out “the special Accountability Review Board that Secretary of State Hillary Clinton appointed to investigate the Sept. 11 attack on the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya, says that a local militia the State Department hired to protect that mission was refusing to protect the movement of State Department vehicles in Benghazi on Sept. 11 in order to protest its wages and working hours.”
While security is most definitely faulted in the report, no one is specifically targeted as being responsible. So it appears that not one person is going to lose their job over Benghazi and not one person will face disciplinary action. Every American should be outraged, but alas it seems that Obama and his administration are coated in Teflon.